Shrimp & Veggie Kebabs with Saffron Couscous and a Cucumber Yogurt Dipping Sauce



I felt like doing something a little different with my shrimp today.  My inspiration for this dish came from the Persian Joujeh Kebab.  I've made a similar rendition of this with chicken, which I'll be sure to post the recipe for the next time I make it.  I would have loved to serve this with a side of dill rice like I use to eat at a Persian restaurant I use to go to in Chicago.  I may try making a dill couscous side when I make the Chicken Joujeh.  Any how, I hope you all enjoy this one :)


Ingredients

12 Medium to Large Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
6 Grape Tomates
4- 1/2" Pieces of Onion
6- 8" Wooden Skewers (soaked in water)

Shrimp Marinade
2 tbsp. Lime Juice
1 tsp. Warm water + a Pinch of Saffron Threads
1/2 tsp. Tumeric
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup Onion (grated)
1 Garlic Clove (grated)
Pepper to taste

Basting Liquid
1 tbsp. Light Butter (melted)
1 1/2 tbsp. Marinade

Dipping Sauce
1/2" English Cucumber (grated)
1/2 tsp. Cilantro (chopped)
1/2 tsp. Lime Juice
Salt & Pepper to taste

Couscous
1/4 cup uncooked Whole Wheat Couscous
1/2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
Pinch of Saffron Threads (crushed)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine all the marinade ingredients in a glass bowl, reserve 1 1/2 tbsp. marinade before adding shrimp.  Add clean shrimp to the marinade, mix well, cover and let it sit for 20 minutes in a cool place on the counter.
Meanwhile prepare the yogurt dipping sauce by combining the ingredients above, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the couscous, in a small saucepan bring to a boil the chicken broth and saffron.  Once boiling add the couscous cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.  Then fluff with a fork and let is sit for 5 minutes covered.
Before skewering your shrimp and veggies, preheat your indoor electric grill (I use this one) at the highest setting.
Now thread 3 shrimp per skewer.  You will use the 2 remaining skewers for the veggies.  Adding the tomato first then onion then tomato and so on.
Place your skewers on the preheated grill and lower the heat to the next setting.  Cook shrimp for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until pink.  Basting with the butter and marinade mixture frequently. After the first 5 minutes add the veggie skewers and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Serve immediately with a side of the saffron couscous and dipping sauce.

Makes 2 servings

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...