Brown Sushi Rice

Since I love me some sushi I have decided to start making it myself at home.  This way I can control the quality and freshness.

Here's my method for making sushi rice.  I'm not too good at making rice on the stove top so my method requires a rice cooker.  I got this great little rice cooker the other day that makes the perfect amount of rice for post-ops without drying out.  My measurements will of course be using the measuring cup that comes with the rice cooker, which is generally different from regular measuring cups.

Ingredients


1 cup Short Grain Brown Rice
2 cups Water

Sushi rice vinegar

2 tbsp. Rice Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Splenda
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt


Wash rice until water runs clear and drain well.  Add rice and water to rice cooker pot.  In about 30 to 40 minutes you'll have perfect rice.
Prepare your sushi rice vinegar by combining all the ingredients and heating in the microwave 10 to 15 seconds to dissolve Splenda and salt.
Dump the rice into your hangiri and drizzle the sushi rice vinegar.  Cut into the rice with your wooden paddle, while fanning with your uchiwa (a japanese fan for cooling sushi rice).  Avoid breaking the grains and do NOT stir the rice, simply fold the vinegar into the rice to cover each grain.  Individual rice kernels should still be somewhat separate.  Once rice is shiny and cooled it is ready to be used.  Keep covered with a damp cloth to avoid your rice from drying out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...