Cheesy French Onion Bacon Rice

This is a remake of one of my favorite dishes that my mom makes.  She always makes it with white rice, which I no longer eat since having my gastric bypass.  So since I was making some of this for the family using my mom's recipe I decided I should come up with a way to make it WLS friendly.  I've substituted the white rice in my mom's recipe with instant brown rice plus I added a little extra protein by topping the whole thing with some gooey swiss cheese.

 Ingredients
 
1 can Campbell's French Onion Soup + 1/4 cup Water
8 slices Reduced Fat Center Cut Bacon (cut in 1" pieces)
1/4 cup Chopped Onion
2 slices Swiss Cheese
Pepper to taste

Heat a small saucepan.  Add bacon pieces and cook until nice and crisp.  Move bacon to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess fat.  Drain bacon fat from pan reserving 1 tbsp.  Add onions to the pan and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on medium high heat.  Add soup and water to the pan and bring to a boil.  Once boiling add the rice, bacon and pepper to taste.  Stir, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.  Remove from heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile preheat your broiler or toaster oven.  Now divide the rice between two 4 oz. ramekins.
Top each ramekin with a slice of swiss cheese.
Place them under the broiler for 5 minutes or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.

Serves 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...